Today it's my turn to share a feel-good habit, so I'm going to let you in on my most important breakfast hack. This is the foundation for the day and sets the tone for everything else. This is a habit that I often challenge my clients to focus on, and a habit that I've been practicing for many months, myself. I've found that this foundational habit helps me to manage my hunger and cravings throughout the day and allows me to feel full all morning.
My #1 breakfast hack is to focus on protein at breakfast time: a minimum of 20 to 30 grams.
Why protein, what about the carbs and the fats? Through trial and error and periods of tracking my eating, I've learned that the carbs and the fats will always make their way into my diet, but in order to eat the amount of protein that I want to eat to maintain and build muscle, I need to be intentional. Eating enough protein doesn't happen, for me, by accident. It only happens when I'm thoughtful and prepared.
I have a small repertoire of go-to protein sources that I use in the mornings. My breakfasts don't include a ton of variety, but here are some of the easy protein sources that I mix and match, pretty much always with some fruit on the side (and coffee, always coffee):
- Greek yoghurt, I like to sprinkle it with sunflower seeds
- Cottage cheese, which I sometimes mix with yogurt
- Collagen powder, which I put into my coffee daily
- Eggs: boiled or fried, I eat three of them
- Smoked salmon, as-is or on some toast
- Sliced cheddar cheese, which is pre-portioned a great, little protein top-up on sourdough toast
- Whey protein, which I sometimes use in a simple smoothie
- Mozzarella cheese strings
As always, my routines and habits don't have to be the same as yours. I love routines and habits that streamline my decision making. What works for me may not work for you or be appealing to you. I've landed here after trial and error and learning what works best for me. I challenge you to continue exploring to find what works best for you! If you want to tell me more about it or chat more, leave a comment below.